Monday, October 31, 2011

Multiverse week

*Warning: May contain SPOILERS*
Right, so this week I read two short stories. The Drowned Giant by J.G. Ballard and We Can Remember it for You by Phillip K. Dick. 
The first one I found to be slightly disturbing and quite sad. I mean, they completely defile the poor giant. At first I wasn’t sure how to react to the story since I didn’t see officials allowing it, but after a while I gave in and simply felt depressed for the poor unfortunate giant man. 
I enjoyed the main character’s persona. It was one that I can easily relate to since I see myself reacting to the events the same way, should they ever actually happen. 
The second story was interesting. Every time the man went to ‘live his life’ by getting false memories implanted they would trigger real memories that just so happened to be very similar, if not exactly the same, to those that he was getting implanted. By the end I pitied the owner of the company a bit. All he’s trying to do is his job but this one guy just makes it so difficult.
Well, that’s about it really. Not much to say about things that short. I do think that they are worth reading, even thought the first one is disturbing to think that people would do such a thing. But I guess we already do with sharks and whales.
Multiverse is the title for the week. I think parallel universe or alternate realities. This is still the Sci-Fi section but I guess you can put some of these types of stories as such. Though, the title makes me think of 1984 and that is not Sci-Fi.
Oh well,, on to the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment