Monday, October 10, 2011

Being John Malkovich (dir. Spike Jonz [1999])

Okay, when you compair this movie to Anansi Boys, well you can’t do it. At least in my opinion.
Yeah, they both have a bit of magic in them, but in the book seems so much more fun and believable like it all could easily be real. In the movie it seems so out there that I’m not really sure I can even start to believe in. I mean, how does a portal like that come into being in the first place?
I main character, the one who takes over the body in the first place, is a vey wimpy character. Didn’t like him at any part.
The person who is the one the portal leads to is probably the one I feel most sympathetic to. I mean it’s not like they asked to be taken over and given no free will when they turn 44. It’s not fair for them at all.
As for the topic of the week, contemporary urban fantasy and mythic fiction, I guess it fits - the first part at least. (The second part the Anansi Boys.) It is a contemporary idea, the ability to be someone else and never die, but the way that it was presented was so odd and out-of-place to me that I couldn’t get into it.
I did not enjoy the movie. The lighting for the whole thing was very low, the characters were winy, and the idea that an office building with a floor built for little people has a secret door that leads to the mind of another person is so farfetched that I could only just believe it enough to get though the movie.
There were only 2 things/ parts that I liked about the movie. 1) the body’s best friend was played by the guy from “Two and a Half Men” 2) The documentary about his life becoming a famous puppet-tear. That was the must interesting part of the movie for me.
So that is my opinion. Fell free to agree or disagree. Watch the movie yourself if you would like, I just didn’t find it that good.
Well, that week 7 done, midterm week. Half way done.

No comments:

Post a Comment