Monday, October 3, 2011

Labyrinth (dir. Jim Henson 1986)

Gosh, I haven’t seen this movie in years!
And I’m not sure I want to see it again for a few more.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good more for the 1980’s, but the girl complains so much that it just got annoying.
If you look at this movie in comparison to the topic of the week, spiritual education, then yes it does fit. Yeah, it’s not what you would first think of (Harry Potter) but it does have magic in it and teaches you that life isn’t fair and you can’t always take things for what they seem.
My favorite character is Ludo. If I had to choose between the three helper characters, only Ludo would be the one I wouldn’t mind taking home with me. I mean, what is she going to do with a goblin, at least Ludo can summon rocks, and he can be a giant teddy bear!
I do feel bad for the Goblin King though. He was only dong his job, and in the end many of his people go and live with the girl. 
That’s not fair.
If you were to compare this to The Magicians then I have to say that a few things. 1) The magic in the movie is less obvious. 2) The movie is on it’s own. It seems to have little to no influence from outside sources and defiantly does not reference other stories in it. 3) The movie’s plot and conflict are very easy to identify unlike the book.
While this is the required movie for the week, the in class movie and discussion is Harry Potter, much more magic related.
At any rate the movie was good. However, I would say that it is a movie to watch because of the characters and techniques of it rather than the relation to the topic at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment