Monday, October 24, 2011

First Contact by Murray Leinster and Sci-fi in general

What was awesome about this week was that it was really short. Only 22 pages!
I know that I probably should have read another short story, but after spending nearly 2 weeks on Warbreaker I was ready to just get this weeks reading done with.
I story was interesting. A kind of surveillance-men-frist-in-history-to-meet-aliens kind of story. The conflicts were understandable, the outcome logical. I seemed to me to be like something that might happen with Star Trek. 
I have always enjoyed Sci-fi. My dad loved to watch Star Trek so it was always on and when something is always on you tend to sit down too. When it comes to Star Trek there is dispute in my house. I like Next Generation, my mom likes Enterprise, and my dad likes the original series - or at least I think it’s him, if not then it’s someone else.
And don’t even get me started with Star Wars. To my brother Star Wars is his Lord of the Rings, and you hopefully understand how much I love that series. 
Don’t ask why I like them - I hate that question. I’ll say that I like the characters (who doesn’t think Picard is the best captain) or I like the story, or the real life symbolism. But if you ask me to explain why I like those then I won’t answer.
I could however tell you how much I love the Star Trek movie that was released 2 years ago. I must have watched it at least 12 times by now, literally.
Anyway, now I have to go watch Serenity as the required movie for the week. I’ll try but I also know that this is a movie that is suppose to conclude the series Firefly which my siblings have all seen, but not me. Personally I think that we should watch the Star Trek movie since though it has the same characters, it’s a parallel universe so you don’t have to know the series in order to enjoy it.
But, hey, I’m not the teacher so I’ll try. Though be forewarned that if I I’m really lost after 30 minutes I’m going to abandon it and rant about the Star Trek movie instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment