Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cyberpunk and Diverse Position

Alright. First last talk about last weeks story Johnny Mnemonic by William Gibson. I read it in time for class last week but just kept getting delayed in writing. Well, that’s college for you. 
Anyway, the story was defiantly Cyberpunk in my opinion. I found it a bit confusing at first but hey, that’s Sci-fi for you. I thought that the beginning part about the relation between being technical and crude was very interesting and true. I was also told that it’s a movie as well and am planning on looking at it eventually.
Alright, moving on.
This week was Diverse Position.
For this I read two short stories since I had no time to even listen to a book on tape.
The first story I read was Bloodchild by Octavia Butler. I really enjoyed it eventhough it was kind of creepy. I mean who doesn’t see larva/youth being cut out from a male host a bit creepy and disturbing? Either way though I really enjoyed it.
The other one I read was I Live with You by Carol Emchwiller. Right, okay, I take it back. The last story wasn’t creepy, only this one. Really, really creepy. A person who lives with you, uses your clothes, your food, changes things around in your house and you never notice their presence? How is that not a bit creepy? While I did enjoy it I didn’t really understand the ending part with the guy. What happened? Oh, well I’ll re-read it later.
So there you have it. Diverse Position. 

No comments:

Post a Comment