Monday, November 7, 2011

Blade Runner (dir. Ridley Scott [1982])

*May contain spoilers.*
So we’re doing thins backwards tonight. First will be the movie review, then the story will be posted later.
Okay, so this movie reminded me a lot of other Sci-Fi things. The opening words made me think Battlestar Galactica, the design of the important buildings and computer systems in the car reminded me of Tron, and the city’s design - with the multi-levels and flying cars - made me remember the city in the ‘new’ Star Wars 2 movie. So the whole movie was like a mash up between several others.
My sister said that it’s a great book, maybe I’ll read it one day.
The topic is cyberpunk. The word to me means the type of characters who are good guys but look bad. It has a look of dirt and grind, and that is how the movie was.
A good choice.
(As a side note: the last ‘Next 6’ that was alive and trying to kill the main character kind of reminded me of the main vampire teen from Lost Boys. And the one for the very beginning reminded me for the Ministry of Magic guy that Ron impersonates in the seventh movie of Harry Potter.)
The last few minutes were. . . odd. They seemed to be fighting forever. I remember thinking three things while watching this part. 1)This fight is really long. 2) If his fingers were really broken then he wouldn’t be moving them like that no matter how much tolerance and adrenalin he has. 3) The ‘bad guy’ is actually going to win?
I admit I kind of wanted to see that happen. I mean, it not like he was really a bad person, just confused. And he wasn’t going to live long past the fight anyway so it did no harm. But alas, he went good and saved that man he was so willingly ready to kill thirty seconds ago. I would like to see the bad guys win for once. I mean, if not, then you should never sigh up to be a villein since you always lose.
Well, there is my impression of the movie. The section is okay. I like some of the movies that at least I would consider cyberpunk so I think it’s good.

No comments:

Post a Comment