Monday, November 14, 2011

The Brother from Another Planet (dir.John Saylers [1984])

Okay, that was an odd movie. The nice thing about though was that you didn’t really understand, or at least I didn’t, until the last few minutes.
First thing, I have to say, the alien main character guy is Henry from Eureka. I find that very interesting. Also the fashion, this movie was made in the 80s a time when my parents were teens, and my goodness what were they thinking?!
The movie was very quiet, I get that he couldn’t talk and that they might have wanted to play that up, but even understanding that it was quiet. There was basically no soundtrack. Other than the music that played as you passed there was no real music. The soundtracks of a movie can make or break it, for many it helps, even pushes them over the edge, but for this it really needed something more.
I thought that the sequence when he fell in love was neat, even funny, but the part when he discovered drugs was disappointing. The idea that he would go there is sad, but in the end I understood, though it was a bit confusing to get there.
What was with that part near the end in the bar? Was it a fight scene or a dance? If it was a dance, then I’m glad the scripted fights in movies has improved since then.
In the end, I did enjoy the film. Not something I would see multiple times I think but nice to see once.

No comments:

Post a Comment