Monday, September 5, 2011

Thirst (dir. Chan-Wook Park)

Okay this was one of the strangest movies I’ve seen. I mean a Korean film were a priest gets turned into a vampire? How strange is that?
I felt bad for the guy until he started going after the main girl who’s messed up from the start. My favorite character was the mentor priest until he wanted to become a vampire too. Then he wasn’t.
The girl, if she was crazy in the beginning, she’s psychotic by the end - and just keeps bringing the ex-priest down with her. I’m glade that he is still kind enough in the end to do what he did in the end. (I’m not going to spoil it.)
Other then this movie I’ve seen 2 other vampire films - Lost Boys (the original: back when I was little my mom had us watch it because it’s her favorite but it’s a bit much when you’re only 10) and the Twilight series (though who really goes to see it for the vampires - the werewolves are so much more interesting to watch). 
Back to the movie. If, and when, comparing Lost Boys to Thirst there are several differences. Lost Boys moves along quickly getting to the vampire stuff right away, Thirst takes a while until you get to that point. Lost Boys has a feeling to it that gives you more of the impression that this is how life in this town is since it is similar to how people were in that time. Thirst takes place in 2009 - the year it was made - but it’s main character is so precise and clean that it make the movie feel surreal at times.
As I said vampires and me get along to some extent. I don’t think that I will ever watch this movie again - again not because it’s in a different language - but because it was too bloody and sexual for me. Was flipping my iPad over on more than one occasion. And before you ask I did put the book down every now and again as well. Though no matter what I would like to see Interview with the Vampire soon.
Regardless, this is good bye to vampires for the class - well except for the in class discussion. Farewell blood suckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment