Monday, September 5, 2011

Interview with the Vampire - Anne Rice

Okay, I haven’t read or seen any real monster or zombie movies before this class - I’ve said that before. I don’t really care about them, the movies and books we’ve been through were okay but none that peeked my interest. But vampires, vampires I like - to an extent. Don’t ask why, they’re just more interesting.
So the book. Good, quite good. I do like the main character - his struggles and events in his life are as realistic as I can imagine. But I’m not here to tell you what happened in it, read it yourself or watch the movie - I know I plan to.
One of the reasons why I liked this book was because of the way it was written. There was always something going on, dialog that helped move the story along - or at least move my eyes to the next line. No dialog means nothing to interest me in continuing down the page. However, while this book had lots of dialogue (the vampire’s story all written in his speech) the large blocks of solid text is not encouraging.
Another thing that I have against the book is that there are no chapters. It makes it very difficult to find a spot to stop for the day. Okay, there are the gaps every-now-and-again but unless you have a book mark - and you can’t use one if you use the school’s copy since you’re not allowed to check it out - it doesn’t work.
But yes I do enjoy vampires a bit. I wouldn’t say they are my favorite characters, not at all, but they are more enjoyable then everything we’ve covered so far. And at least these vampires don’t sparkle and get pregnant.
So next week Japanese Horror. We’ll see how that goes in a weeks time.

No comments:

Post a Comment