Monday, September 12, 2011

Audition (dir. Takashi Miike [1999])

*Movie Spoilers!*
Oh my goodness! What is with the crazy women lately? This Asami girl makes the one from last week look normal, and she was psychotic in the end! And really, this is the fourth film we’ve seen and only one has been in english. Not that I mind, I just find it odd. And yes I know that this week is Japanese Horror so of course it’s not in english, but I mean the other weeks...I’m just pointing it out.
Anyway, I don’t know if I would call this a horror movie. Yeah, it’s defiantly not a normal story line, but when I think horror I think something involving beings like monsters, vampires, werewolves, so no and so forth. Get what I mean? So a movie with none of those things and no real hint of gut retching scenes until the last twenty minutes can’t be classified as horror in my book. Me - I would say more of a light slasher film or something.
My favorite character was the guys son. I instantly felt bad for him when you saw him in the first scene bringing a get well gift for his mother that dies right before he gets to her room. So when later the crazy girl tried to pepper spray (?) him to kill him later I was yelling at the screen telling him to turn around. Then yelling at him for going up the stairs instead of out the front door when she started chasing her. But hey, he was able to kill her and not get himself hurt so I’ll let him off for that.
I liked that, while it was a foreign film, it was Japanese simply because I’m use to watching subbed anime so the japanese language going off with words appearing below is easier to wrap my head around then it being in Swedish or something. Also, after watching subbed anime for five years you pick up a few words and sayings - making it that much easier to watch.
So, quick recap: wouldn’t call it horror, the women seem to be getting crazier each week, favorite character is the son, the dad movies way too fast, the best friend is right all along, and if my youngest sister saw this she would be hitting me saying it was my fault the crazy lady killed the dog even though I have no control over the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment