Monday, August 22, 2011

Movie: Let the Right One In (Swedish dir. Tomas Alfredson, 2008)


The movie in one word: odd. 
My roommate tells me that this movie was re-made in America and is called Let Me In made last year, 2010. This is definitely not your typical Vampire movie, or creature movie for that matter. No overly gruesome parts, not tons of blood, no sudden appearances that make you jump in your seat. I honestly don’t see it needing an R, though I wouldn’t say PG-13. Why don’t we create one that’s in the middle and call it that. It can be AR for Almost R (but not quite).
My sister would never watch it. Not because of the genre but because it’s Swedish. She refuses to watch pretty much anything subbed. Me, I don’t mind. After spending five years watching subbed anime, it being in Swedish is fine.
I thought the bully’s older brother was a jerk. An eye for an ear, who taught him in school? The vampire, Eli, was cool. I get why this movie was paired with Frankenstein. Both Eli and the Creature just wanted to have a friend in there life. I felt bad for her / his “father” even if he was killing people. All he was trying to do was feed Eli. I thought the way he died was good. Sacrificing himself to feed her, at the same time dyeing so no investigation can lead to Eli.
Oskar was one messed up kid. Sure his parents are divorced, his dad forgets about him when he drinks, mom works all the time, but couldn’t they have payed more attention to him so he wasn’t stabbing trees? And people who collect newspaper articles about murder, death, and knives grow up to either be murderers themselves or the crazy people that create groups to follow them. Your telling me that the parents knew no one that could watch him every now and again so he doesn’t spend so long by himself? That’s just bad parenting. So I don’t blame him for still being friends with Eli even after her finds out she’s/he’s a vampire (or at least drinks blood to survive). But still, as creepy, unethical, unmoral or what-have-you as it is to be friends with them, a Vampire on your side can be helpful.

1 comment:

  1. Christina: First of all, they're assitants, not assitances. What the hell is an assitances? What the hell is a Hufflepuff?

    Second of all, I don't believe you can read a book a week. Just saying. If you do it, I will be very proud of you.

    Third of all, you should post that schedule you gave me on here somewhere, so everyone who's reading this knows what books and movies are coming up.

    What else? Oh, i started a blog, too. kavagliano.wordpress.com. I was the first commentor on yours, you should be the first on mine.

    ReplyDelete