Monday, August 22, 2011

Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley


I just finished reading Frankenstein, and my first thought is that Frankenstein is not a nice person. He wants to create a person from dead parts yet is repulsed but the end result. Was he not looking at what he was doing? Did he think that once the figure had life that it would look normal? 
I feel bad for the Creature. He didn’t ask to be created, yet his very existence is looked upon with fear and hatred. In the beginning all he wanted was to understand what was going on, what the things were around him. Yet Frankenstein abandons him, leaving him to fend for himself. Be it Frankenstein abandoning the Creature he created, or a mother leaving her misshapend child for dead, it is not right.
I do not understand one thing. How does Frankenstein’s story relate to Walton’s journey. He is exploring the Artic and Frankenstein sought to create life when it wasn’t his place to do so. How do the two relate?
As I was reading the beginning of the novel, I couldn’t help but relate it to Fullmetal Alchemist, a manga and anime from Japan. The story is about alchemy, taking one thing and transmuting it into another. In the story the main characters search for the Philosopher's Stone, the Elixir of Life - same things that Frankenstein studies in the beginning. The characters also sought to create human beings with alchemy - human transmutation. The difference between what they do and what Frankenstein does is that the create from basic compounds - sulfur, carbon, ammonia, salt - Frankenstein creates from pieces of dead human. The characters seek to revive there mother, Frankenstein seeks to advance science. They each create a creature, and monster, but instead of it living and seeking love and friendship, the creature mad in Fullmetal Alchemist is not even human and dies soon after. Either way it is not in our place to create life, only God has that right. 
Did I like the book? It was good, but I wouldn’t call it one of my favorites. I think that it was one of those novels every person should read, but once was enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment