Monday, August 29, 2011

Monster Island by David Wellington


Monster Island is not a book about monsters but rather zombies. I personally have never been a zombie person, but I know a lot of people who are. 
This book was first created online, later published into a book. I remember seeing the cover at Borders one time - most likely a long time ago. I’ll have to ask my sister is she’s read if, though I don’t think so.
Back to the story. Because it was online, the format was similar to fanfiction or other online reading sites. I liked this for two reasons. One: I have been reading a lot of fanfiction recently so I was very comfortable with the format. Two: The chapters were very short and though there were sixty of them, since they were not that long it felt like you were getting a lot done. James Patterson also writes like this which is one of the reasons I will read some of his books.
The story itself is pretty good in my opinion. Sure, I don’t like zombies, but that won’t stop me from stating the truth. 
For those who read this would would like a bit more to go on in order to determine if you would read it, here. The story is zombies. For some reason when you die you come back to life within a minute. However, because your brain lost oxygen you’re mindless. The story is from two points of view and switches off every chapter. One story is about a guy who traveled from Africa to NYC to get AIDS medication for their contours warlord in exchange for safety for himself and his daughter. The other story is a medical student in NYC who kills himself while connected to a respirator and dialysis that way he can keep his mind. Of course the two stories intertwine. A Scottish mummy comes back to life an can control all the dead. They find a group of survivors. One guy thinks killing everyone would be best and tries to do it. Yeah-da, yeah-da, yeah-da, read it yourself, I’m not going to spoil it by telling you the whole thing.
Anyway, personally my favorite character is Ayaan - she understands what has to be done even if everyone else is to noble to consider it. I did also like Gary in the first part, but then after he talks to the mummy I just want him to go die.
So there is Monster Island. Two down, fourteen to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment